Hearty Fisherman’s Soup
- 1 lb. Wild Pacific Albacore loin, cut crosswise into 4 medallions
- 1 quart fresh live mussels
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds, lightly crushed
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/8 tsp. saffron
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne
- 2 lbs. red potatoes,sliced ¼-inch thick
- Freshly ground black pepper and sea salt to taste
- ¼ cup minced parsley
- 2 tbsp. minced cilantro
- 1 cup croutons, crushed to large crumbs
In a cast iron pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic; sauté for 5 minutes. Add the undrained tomatoes, fennel seeds, and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer 10 minutes.
Add the vegetable broth, saffron, and cayenne. Simmer 5 minutes. Add potatoes, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
Put the albacore pieces and mussels in a steamer basket that will fit over the pot. Moisten with a little of the cooking broth and season with pepper. Steam for 12 minutes until the mussels open and albacore is just pink in the center.
Put steamed albacore and mussels into 4 soup bowls. Stir the parsley, cilantro, and croutons into the soup, season with salt and pepper if necessary and ladle the soup into the bowls.