Marine Stewardship Council
Albacore MSC Sustainability Certification:
MSC DESIGNATED ALBACORE BUYER LIST 2016 – 2017:
MSC DESIGNATED ALBACORE BUYER LIST 2017 – 2018:
- Bornstein Seafoods
- Ilwaco Landing Fishermen
- Interocean Seafood Co.
- Jessie’s Ilwaco Fish Company
- Manabe & Company LLC
- Pacific Choice Seafood Company
- Pacific Coast Seafood
- Pacific Seafood Group
- Seafood Producers Cooperative
- Trident Seafoods Corp
- Wild Planet Foods Inc.
MSC-Qualified Albacore Vessels 2016 (updated 11/09/2016)
WFOA Members: If you are a U.S. WFOA member in good standing, with all dues and other obligations up to date by June 30, you are automatically under the certification and buyers can verify your eligibility from the list posted above.
Non-WFOA Members: As this certification covers the entire U.S. troll and pole and line (baitboat) fishery, it is open to non-WFOA members though your buyers at no cost if the buyer is designated.
AAFA Vessels: AAFA vessels are under the same MSC certification as WFOA but will maintain their listings separately.
Canadian Vessels: Canadian vessels are under a separate certification. Buyers also have certain requirements. There is a sign-up procedure with the CHMSF with contact information.
Buyers: WFOA will maintain and post on this page a list of designated MSC buyers in the MSC chain of custody (CoC). Qualified buyers on this list have agreed to pay a small fee on ALL albacore they buy. This fee will NOT be deducted from WFOA member proceeds. These funds will be for cost-recovery of funds spent on certification and for future surveillance audits and re-certification. Buyers not complying with terms of the agreement will be removed from the designated buyer list and MSC and “MSC CoC Certification Bodies” will be notified.
NOTE: Non-contracted albacore buyers using the WFOA/AAFA MSC certification in their sales or COC are in violation of the terms of the certification and will be reported to the certification bodies and MSC.
VESSEL QUALIFYING CRITERIA:
- U.S. Documented or State Registered vessel
- Valid HMS permit
- HSFCA registration if fishing beyond 200 miles
- If fishing west of 150W longitude, vessel must be registered with WCPFC and in compliance with their requirements
- Only troll or baitboat methods on that particular trip. No albacore will be MSC eligible if landed on a trip during which albacore were caught by any other method or gear type.
- Only owners of MSC-qualified vessels can directly sell MSC-certified albacore off-vessel; otherwise there must be a fish ticket or bill of lading from the first buyer who certifies that the albacore came from MSC-qualified vessels. Secondary sellers of MSC-eligible albacore must also obtain MSC Chain of Custody certification.
- To sell MSC-certified albacore directly to the public, vessel owners must comply with MSC Chain of Custody requirements. To meet these requirements, a vessel owner must sign a Designated Party Agreement with WFOA. This also applies to vessels processing at sea or in the harbor. A secondary requirement is a “fish and game sellers license number” issued by your state. (If you do not intend to use the MSC certification, then you have no such requirements.)
U.S. West Coast Albacore Fisheries Merge MSC Certificates
REDDING / SAN DIEGO, California (April 25, 2014) – American Albacore Fishing Association (AAFA) and Western Fishboat Owners Association (WFOA) today announced the merging of their individual Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) fishery certifications. The two organizations now share one certificate for North Pacific fisheries and one for South Pacific fisheries. AAFA and WFOA represent the vast majority of U.S. West Coast pole and line and troll/jig albacore fishermen. MSC certification of these fisheries, conducted by a third-party certifying body, assures buyers and consumers that the albacore tuna they consume is from a well-managed and sustainable fishery. See: AAFA-WFOA-MSC-PressRelease-April2014
MSC Contact for Questions:
Dan Averill, Fisheries Outreach Manager-Americas,
Marine Stewardship Council (MSC), 2110 N Pacific St., #102
Seattle WA 98103
Skype: dan.averill (Seattle)